By: Rachel Olson
As the semester comes to an end, it is easy to be caught up in the excitement of what fun adventures may await with the summer months, but final exams stand between students and the excitement of summer vacation. So why not take on finals weeks in the most prepared way possible? Here are some helpful test taking tips to help ensure that your final exams go great:
- Space out your study sessions: Cramming until the late hours of the night before your exam is not an effective strategy for preparing for the test. Start studying for the test multiple days in advance, and evenly distribute your study sessions over time up until the exam.
- Make lists: If available from your teacher, use a study guide to help determine what to focus on when studying. If your teacher does not make study guides, make your own! Try to decide what main topics the exam is going to cover, and then choose which sub-topics will be included in each of those. Also, make note of the topics that you are aware you don’t know very much about, and pay special attention to those topics to help yourself better prepare!
- Practice tests: After reviewing a study guide for the exam, try to take a practice test! Some practice tests can be found online, or you (or a friend) could make your own for you to take. Grade the exam and review what topics you struggled the most with and why, and then re-study those topics!
- Manage your time: During your exam, be sure to be aware of the time. Know how many questions are on the exam, and how long you have to finish it. Use this information to help guide your time management throughout the exam!
- Thoroughly read through each question: Do not panic when taking the exam and confuse yourself. Take a deep breath at the beginning of each question and fully read the question. Be sure that you really understand what it is asking of you before you answer.
For more tips and tricks for your finals week, look at this Test-Taking Strategy Handout put together by the Wichita State University Office of Student Success: https://www.wichita.edu/student_life/resources/ofdss/documents/Test_Taking_Strategies.pdf
Be confident in yourself, focus on your schoolwork for just a few more weeks, and then enjoy your summer break!